Plymouth Parkway vs Brislington FC

FA Vase
September 1, 2018
Score: 5 - 1

Match Report

FT: Plymouth Parkway 5 (Yetton 30, Smith 57, 60, pen 86,
Williams 83)
Brislington 1 (Woolland 33)
Parkway entertained fellow Western League Premier side Brislington in the 1st round qualifying of the FA Vase with a slightly below average crowd of 124 in attendance. For the first time this season Parkway had a fully fit squad available and made 2 changes from the previous game with Sam Hillson in for Aaron Bentley and Tiegan Rosanquest replacing Mike Smith. Brislington also made numerous changes with 5 players, including goalkeeper Chris Humphries, not named in the squad listed in the matchday programme either starting or on the bench. The game got off to a cagey start with neither side able to get much momentum with too many passes going astray and little goalmouth action. Parkway had the better of possession but their play lacked tempo with Brislington looking comfortable at the back and dogged in midfield.The first real move of any quality came on 12 minutes which saw Rosanquest clear down their right opting to pull the ball back rather than shoot when well placed. Brislington continued to defend well with Jason Hughes marshalling the back four and Humphries rarely being called into action. On 17 minutes a decent Parkway move finished with Stewart Yetton firing just over. Sloppy Parkway ball retention in midfield allowed Brislington to break forward and only a fine recovering tackle in the penalty area by Nick Milton denied them a goalscoring chance. Play became very scrappy as Parkway continued to huff and puff winning a few free kicks and corners which generally lacked quality in their delivery, rarely testing Humphries. The closest they came was a Christian Pople header from a corner on 26 minutes which flew just over. The deadlock was finally broken on the half hour when excellent work again by Pople to recover the ball wide on the left saw him feed Mikey Williams whose cross from the bye line found the predatory Yetton who tapped in unchallenged from close range. Parkway should have doubled their lead almost from the restart when another cross by Ryan Lane reached the unmarked Adam Carter who somehow blasted his effort wide when unchallenged. On 33 minutes Parkway conceded possession in midfield allowing Brislington to counter attack down the right with Oaklan Buck left in acres of space. He drove into the exposed Parkway defence and delivered a good ball into the unmarked Jimmy Woolland who shot home from around 12 yards giving Kyle Moore no chance. The half continued with Parkway having the majority of possession but at times overplaying in the final third with their final ball lacking quality and direction. The last action of the half saw Parkway central defender Rob Farkins storm forward some 60 yards from the back and fire his shot over from around 20 yards. This probably summed up a pretty uninspiring first half in which the only efforts on target were the 2 goals with neither keeper having any other saves to make. Parkway made early inroads in the second half with Carter glancing a header just wide and Rosanquest seeing his shot smothered by Humphries however it was Brislington who had the best chance to take the lead on 52 minutes. A break down their right saw the hard working, robust Louis Britton have a free run into the box only for Moore to narrow the angle and save well with his feet, the ball flying behind for a corner. Shortly after this Brislington had a reasonable shout for a penalty after Britton and Farkins, who had had a good battle all game, tussle just inside the box only for the referee to wave play on. Arguably the game changing moment came on 56 minutes. Parkway introduced Smith for Carter with the hard working Rosanquest being replaced by Shane Krac returning after a 3 match suspension. On 57 minutes a long, accurate diagonal found Smith some 40 yards out wide on the right and his first touch of the ball saw him show superb control, cut inside, ghost past 3 or 4 desparing tackles, drive into the box and hit a rather scruffy shot which somehow trickled, almost in slow motion, low into the corner. Smith then doubled his tally on the hour when fine work down the left by the increasingly influential Lane saw him play a neat one two with Williams with Lane’s dangerous cross only being cleared to the alert Smith who stabbed home from around 6 yards. Britton continued to battle hard up front for Brislington but received little support as play again became patchy from both sides with numerous petty infringements breaking up the flow of the game. On 70 minutes Brislington won a free kick 20 yards out which sailed harmlessly over. On 78 minutes Parkway made their final substitution with young Jack Rhead replacing the ever reliable and consistent Pople. Parkway, now dominating the game as Brislington visibly began to tire, went further ahead on 83 minutes. Yet another marauding run by Lane down the by now exposed Brislington right saw him slip a perfect pass to the overlapping Williams who cut in and slid his shot under the diving keeper. Brislington then made a raft of substitutions on 85/86 minutes Ayaabah, Woolland and Buck all being replaced. Parkway got their fifth and final goal from the penalty spot on 86 minutes. After yet another period of pressure and series of corners and free kicks, Farkins found himself dribbling into the box only to be tripped behind for a clear penalty. With the usual penalty takers Jordan Trott and Carter not on the field, the ball was sportingly given to Smith who proved as adept from the spot as he was in open play by calmly slotting the ball home to complete his 29 minute hattrick. Quite an impact substitute!! The final word was left to Krac who curled an effort against the cross bar in stoppage time as Parkway ran out comfortable, although not easy winners. A patchy, bitty sort of game which undoubtedly changed with the Parkway substitutions with Brislington proving doughty opponents who competed well but were ultimately undone in the last 30 minutes. Parkway will now travel to Western league division 1 (step 6) side Radstock in the next round on Saturday September 15th. Before that, 2 tough challenges await. On Tuesday they travel to the current league leaders Bridgwater Town who won 8-0 at Chipping Sodbury today and remain undefeated in the league having won 4 and drawn 1. This game has been brought forward from the scheduled date of next Saturday due to Parkway entertaining EVO Stick Southern League Division 1 South (step 4) and last years Western League champions Street in the 1st round qualifying of the FA Cup. These two games should give a good indication of how Parkway are currently progressing in the higher league.


Ryan Lane
Christian Pople
Adam Carter
Teigan Rosenquest
Stewart YettonGoal
Rob Farkins
1. Kyle Moore
Sam Hillson
Nick Milton
Mikey WilliamsGoal
Ben Joyce


Jack Rhead
Mike SmithGoalGoalGoal
Jordan Trott
Aaron Bentley
Connor McAuley
Shane Krac