Plymouth Parkway vs Cribbs

Les Phillips Cup
November 7, 2018
Score: 2 - 0

Match Report

FT: Plymouth Parkway 2 (Carter 9, Yetton 63) Cribbs 0

Parkway entertained fellow premier side Cribbs in the 1st round of the Les Phillips league cup at a damp and breezy Bolitho Park in front of a lower than average crowd. Prior to the game, the league Chairman made a presentation to manager Lee Hobbs for Parkway being awarded the Premier Division team of the month for September. An excellent achievement by all concerned so early in their first season in the league. Ongoing unavailability resulted in 2 changes from Saturdays abandoned game, with 2 cover players from Tiverton Town included in the squad. Parkway made a sharp start with an early Mikey Williams shot being comfortably saved by by Lochlan Robertson but almost conceded on 5 minutes when a loose back pass went narrowly wide with Kyle Moore desperately scampering back. Parkway continued their fast start and took the lead on 9 minutes. A good interchange of play on the left between Nick Hurst and Stewart Yetton saw the ball fed into the predatory Adam Carter who, under pressure, slipped the ball in from around 8 yards. As the game settled into a pattern, Cribbs came more into things, looking comfortable in possession and moving the ball around well at pace. However it was Parkway who created the next chance on 16 minutes after more good play between Hurst and Jordan Trott set up Shane Krac whose long range shot looped just over the bar after taking a wicked defensive deflection. With both sides looking creative in midfield and on the flanks, the game developed into an even tussle and on 25 minutes Cribbs almost equalised with Jason Vincent turning sharply on the edge of the box and firing just wide. Cribbs continued in the ascendancy for a period moving the ball around sharply and with precision forcing Parkway to work hard in midfield to break up attacks. With the assured central defender Nick Milton marshaling the defence well, Cribbs were restricted to a couple of long range efforts with their finishing and cutting edge not matching their neat approach play. With defences generally in control and the midfield battle continuing, chances for both sides were minimal with the closest being on 43 minutes when Yetton pulled his shot just wide after good strong play by Carter and Williams. A decent half from two well organised, hard working sides with few chances being created on a surface holding up well considering the recent heavy rain. Parkway created an early chance on 49 minutes after a patient passage of play on the left ended with a Williams run and shot just wide. On 52 minutes Tiegan Rosanquest replaced Tiverton cover player Hurst who appeared to have taken a slight knock. Cribbs continued to play some controlled football from the back with George King influential in midfield and Ben Jowell firing narrowly over from a free kick on 55 minutes. Cribbs continued a period of possession but the Parkway midfield led by the ever industrious Christian Pople continued to work hard to close down and deny time and space to the opposition who were unable to create any clear cut chances. Cribbs replaced Dan Spicer with Sam Iles as the game continued in an attritional fashion. Parkway looked the more threatening for a period and on 58 minutes a determined run and cross from the right by Sam Hillson and neat lay off from Yetton saw a Rosanquest shot from the edge of the box deflected just over. A cross from Yetton found Carter attacking the near post with his effort flashing narrowly wide. With play going from end to end Cribbs Charlie Aldom fired just wide on 63 minutes just before the hard working Vincent was replaced by Andre Freckleton. Despite much patient and controlled earlier build play from Parkway it was a route one goal that increased their lead. A booming kick from Moore on 66 minutes saw Carter pressurise a Cribbs defender with the ball bouncing kindly to the unmarked Yetton on the right who took a good first touch and angled his low drive home from around 12 yards. Parkway now increased the pressure with Carter and Krac both having half chances. Cribbs continued to look to play from the back and Parkway had to work hard to stem their attacks with Pople continuing to show commitment all over the park. Jack Rhead replaced the hard working Yetton on 73 minutes with Cribbs having the next chance on 77 minutes after a quick break ended with Dowdell shooting just wide. Both sides introduced their final subs on 80 minutes with Tiverton cover player Michael Landricombe replacing Krac and Ben Stevens on for Aldom. The final 10 minutes saw Parkway continue to attack with a Rhead effort scrambled off the line, a Landricombe header just clear the bar, a Rosanquest shot deflected behind after a fine run from Pople and another Rhead effort well saved. Cribbs did force a couple of late corners but the Parkway defence remained strong as they kept their first clean sheet for 5 games. An entertaining game between two evenly matched sides with Parkway’s performance based on the qualities of hard work, graft and working as a unit, something that may have just been missing in recent games. Cribbs contributed well to the game with their slick passing and controlled approach play not quite matched by their finishing. Parkway now face a midweek visit to Division 1 side Wells City in the 2nd round on Tuesday 27th November. The second of 3 successive home games now follows when 6th placed Bradford Town visit 7th placed Parkway on Saturday. Bradford come on the back of an impressive 4-0 away victory at Wessex Premier outfit Brockenhurst in the FA Vase last Saturday.


Christian Pople
Jordan Trott
Sam Hillson
Aaron Bentley
Nick Milton
Mikey Williams
Shane Krac
Adam CarterGoal
Stewart YettonGoal
1. Kyle Moore


Jack Rhead
Teigan Rosenquest
Michael Landricombe