Plymouth Parkway v Street | Match Report & Highlights

A terrific all round performance by Parkway in display of the season

10 - 2
Full Time

In their final game before the enforced lockdown and suspension of non league games at step 3 and below, Parkway entertained fourth placed Street looking to stretch their unbeaten league run to 13 games. One change was made from the recent victory over Cadbury Heath with Mikey Williams replacing Matt Wright who was amongst the 3 substitutes. A crowd of 297 were in attendance however the regular match day tweeter Gavin Lloyd was not one of them due to having to self isolate. Thanks to modern day communications, a bit of ingenuity, forethought and off field teamwork with club videographer Mike Parrish, he was able to tweet proceedings from the comfort of his own living room. Surely a first? Picked a good game to do that! Prior to kick off, in recognition of Remembrance Sunday this weekend, the Exhortation was read out over the PA and a minutes silence was impeccably observed. Once again a classy touch by the club.


Street almost took the lead in the first minute after Parkway had sloppily conceded possession allowing Bradlee Shephard to fire just wide from around 25 yards with Kyle Moore scrambling across his goal. This seemed to spark Parkway into action and with fireworks being seen and heard from the surrounding residential areas, they began their own on field pyrotechnics by taking the lead in the sixth minute. A period of sustained pressure forced a couple of corners and from the second inswinging one from the right by Ryan Lane, Rob Farkins rose majestically above everyone to plant a powerful header beyond the reach of keeper Liam Norris.

With the game now developing into a high tempo affair and with intensity from both sides, Harrison Davis received the game’s first yellow card before Parkway’s second attack on 8 minutes brought them their second goal. A deep kick from Moore found Plymouth Parkway Supporters Club player of the month for October Ryan Richards wide on the left and after good link up play with Williams, Craig Veal touched in a shot from Williams from close range. With Parkway moving the ball around at pace and with precision, slicing through the Street defence at will, on 14 minutes another Farkins header from a corner was tipped over the bar by Norris at full stretch.

With Parkway looking threatening with every attack, they increased their lead further on 18 minutes with River Allen tapping into an empty after a neat exchange between Williams and Callum Hall had carved open the visitors defence. Almost straight from the kick off Parkway added their fourth with another break along the left by the influential Williams setting up Veal who sidefooted home from close range for his second of the game. Parkway continued to dominate, pressing high with the midfield engine room of Allen, Hall and Billy Palfrey outstanding and forcing Street to defend in numbers and offer little attacking threat with the Parkway defence rarely troubled.

On 25 minutes another quick break along the left saw a Lane shot parried away by the increasingly busy Norris. On 26 minutes another slick Parkway move ended with Allen being barged over in the penalty area for a stonewall penalty which Richards comfortably converted in his customary manner. A rare Street attack along the right on 29 minutes was halted by Lane who received a yellow card with the subsequent free kick coming to nothing. Parkway continued to create numerous chances and on 33 minutes a whipped in cross from the left by Richards flashed dangerously across the 6 yard area. Further efforts on 36 and 38 minutes from Richards and Davis respectively forced saves from Norris with the game taking another twist on 40 minutes.

A rare Street attack down the right saw their player just onside getting goal side of Lane only to be slightly tugged back just inside the area with Lane receiving a second yellow. Moore managed to get a touch on Pearson’s penalty only to see the ball change direction and trickle agonisingly over the line. Play continued to be highly competitive and a strong challenge on Davis by Leigh Bailey on 43 minutes earned him a yellow card with Davis clearly struggling to continue.

Parkway continued to press and were rewarded with their sixth goal in stoppage time after yet another corner was headed clear but only as far as the predatory Richards who smashed his first time shot into the top corner from around 20 yards. An outstanding 45 minutes from Parkway soured only by the sending off. After the break Jordan Bentley came on and slotted in at right back, replacing Davis who was unable to continue after the earlier heavy challenge with the versatile Hall dropping in to left back. Just when we thought we’d seen it all, Parkway’s first attack of the second half straight from the kick off created an almighty scramble in the 18 yard box with another penalty being awarded seemingly for either handball or a foul on Williams. Hard to make out from the reporters vantage point, will have to wait for the highlights!

Once again Richards confidently hammered home the spot kick to complete his third hattrick of a productive season. Street immediately sent on Leighton Thomas for Shephard and with the Parkway tempo now dropping as they looked more to contain and play on the break, the visitors enjoyed a spell of possession and pulled a goal back on 55 minutes. A well worked move along the right ended with a low cross being  turned in at close range by Oscar Latas whose next involvement was to be yellow carded on 57 minutes. With Parkway now content to get more players behind the ball and defend deeper, the visitors enjoyed a period in possession but due to Parkway’s midfield pressing and solid defending, their attacks lacked penetration with their efforts being mainly from distance and invariably off target.

On the hour Toby Davey replaced Pearson for the visitors and with Parkway still looking dangerous on the counter attack, Allen blazed over on 65 minutes after good work between Veal and Williams. Williams then created a shooting position for himself after a superb through ball from Richards only to be denied by a fine save by Norris. The only thing that had been missing from the game so far was a sin binning. This was duly rectified with a Street player being despatched to the sidelines for 10 minutes seemingly for remarks made to the referee. Street made their final substitution on 69 minutes with Allesandro Constanza replacing Kyle Strange as Parkway continued to dominate proceedings.

On 70 minutes another sweeping move saw Veal release Allen into the 18 yard box with his shot being blocked on the line by a combination of Norris and a defender. Wright then replaced Richards who once again had put an excellent shift full of hard work and determination and of course goals. Street continued to have periods in possession but Parkway held firm with Moore rarely called into action. Parkway made their final change on 75 minutes with Levi Landricombe replacing Veal who had led the line well all game with his movement on and off the ball creating constant problems for the Street defenders. Not content to sit back, Parkway notched their eighth on 77 minutes with more good link up play on the left between Williams and Allen setting up Wright who poked home from close range past the exposed Norris.

A whipped in free kick from Levi Landricombe on 80 minutes saw Williams glance a header just wide before on 83 minutes a surging run from deep by Levi Landricombe saw him glide past 3 tiring defenders only to shoot wide from around 18 yards. With around 5 minutes to go just as we all thought the game was drifting to it’s conclusion, the Bolitho Park floodlights had seen enough and decided to give up and go into an early lockdown! After lengthy discussions, the referee took the players from the field and apparently gave 15 minutes for the fault to be rectified and if not the game would have to be abandoned. Cue frantic efforts and head scratching from groundsman Garry Turner and a couple of bright sparkies in the crowd and after around 10 minutes the lights thankfully sparked back into life with the players returning to the field but with some of the Street players seemingly somewhat reluctant to do so.

Not content to see the game out quietly, back came Parkway with two more goals. On 88 minutes a superb move between Allen and Williams set up Levi Landricombe who rolled back the years and finished with a stunning shot from around 15 yards only to be added to the growing list of yellow cards for an innocuous looking offence shortly afterwards. Parkway rounded off the game in stoppage time in spectacular style with the best goal of the game and arguably the best goal of the season so far. A long raking diagonal ball by Allen picked out the unmarked Levi Landricombe wide on the right who showed superb technique to guide a cushioned volley on the run directly on to the head of Wright in the 6 yard box who cleverly guided his header low into the bottom corner. A superb goal and fitting way to round off an incredible night that had everything.

A terrific all round performance by Parkway in what was undoubtedly their best display of the season by a distance and that with playing with 10 men for the best part of an hour against a well placed Street side who had won their last game 6-1 at Keynsham. The victory sees Parkway go into the lockdown top of the table 10 points clear of near neighbours and close rivals Tavistock but having played 2 games more. Who knows when the season will recommence and when it does we will be hard pushed to see a better display of attacking football and clinical finishing than this. Looking forward to watching the highlights (don’t mention lights!) of this one.

Parkway: 1 Moore, 2 Davis (Bentley 46), 3 Lane, 4 Palfrey, 5 Farkins (c), 6 M Landricombe, 7 Williams, 8 Allen, 9 Veal (L Landricombe 75), 10 Hall, 11 Richards (Wright 71)

Street: 1 Norris, 2 Corbridge, 3 Pearson (Davey 62), 14 Bailey, 5 Hegarty, 6 Shephard (Thomas 47), 7 Peach, 8 Andrews (c), 16 Latas, 10 Dickens, 11 Strange (Constanza 69)

From a personal point of view that’s all 14 games I’ve reported on this season and who knows when it will be the 15th?  I’ve not always got it right as Rob Farkins keeps telling me lol but I’ve done my best for an ordinary paying punter with no journalistic training or experience and just say, hopefully without bias, what I see. I hope you have enjoyed reading them and following the fortunes of Parkway as much as I’ve enjoyed watching and reporting on them. Let’s hope we can all be back again soon but until then look after yourselves and one another, stay safe and I’ll see you on the other side. BFN.