Toon delight as Parkway falter at home

Plymouth Parkway v Hanwell Town | Match Report

In sweltering hot conditions a depleted Parkway squad entertained Hanwell Town looking to extend their unbeaten run to 4 games.

With Ryan Lane and Jack Crago suspended and Matt Wright, Dylan Jones and Henry Wilson all unavailable, 3 enforced changes were made from last week’s FA Cup win over Dorchester Town. Reece Thomson signed from Saltash United on Thursday, Joe Belsten and Alfie Moulden came into the starting 11.

Graham Lloyd

Full Match Report

Images: Tom Finnie

With not much between the sides in the early stages play quickly developed into a midfield battle. On 5 minutes Herson Rodrigues-Alves fired well over for the visitors with Parkway debutant Thomson glancing a header just over from a corner on 7 minutes.

Play continued at a frantic pace with neither side showing too much quality with too many passes being misdirected or overhit and defences staying well in control. Play continued to be scrappy with neither side able to build any momentum or rhythm and both proving difficult to break down. On 18 minutes a Hanwell free kick wide on the right saw a header go well wide. Clear chances remained at a premium and although both sides were patient in their build up, neither goalkeeper had been tested in the first 20 minutes. A welcome drinks break took place on 22 minutes

On 28 minutes a decent passage of play along the left between Thomson and Moulden forced a corner which was easily defended.  On 33 minutes a cross into the Hanwell 18 yard area saw an accidental clash of heads causing a lengthy delay while the unfortunate Elliot Benyon received treatment eventually leaving the field with his head heavily bandaged and being replaced by Jacob Bancroft.

Play continued from end to end with neither side able to take control and the game still lacking quality and defences looking comfortable. On 38 minutes a long ball out to the Parkway left saw Thomson and Hall combine well with the cross again being cleared behind for a corner. On 43 minutes the Hanwell manager was shown a red card and dismissed from the technical area apparently for remarks made to the officials. Parkway almost took the lead on 44 minutes with Rio Garside going clear along the left, rounding the goalkeeper with his angled drive only finding the side netting.

After a fairly uninspiring half the game suddenly sprung to life in the 9 minutes of added time with the visitors taking the lead in the 3rd minute. An incisive move along their right saw the Parkway back line breached with Sam Evans getting ahead of his marker to meet a low cross and glance home a shot at the near post.

Parkway almost levelled a couple of minutes later with Garside seeing his effort from around 10 yards blocked. A Parkway free kick from the left then saw Thomson win a header in the 6 yard area with Tom Purrington shooting narrowly over from close range.

Parkway did eventually equalise in the final minute of added time. Good build up play between Thomson and Mikey Williams along the left ended with the persistent Thomson winning the ball from a hesitant defender and unselfishly roll the ball square to the unmarked Moulden who fired home from around 8 yards.

An even half lacking too much quality or many clear cut chances and only coming to life in added time with the 1-1 scoreline just about the right outcome.


Parkway made a double change at the break with Joe Belsten and Moulden making way for Alex Cairo and Alex Lolot which resulted in a couple of personnel positional changes. Play continued in a similar manner to the first half being compacted in the midfield area with neither side looking particularly threatening and defences remaining on top.

Parkway did however almost take the lead the 53rd minute with Garside’s free kick from around 20 yards heading for the top corner only to superbly pushed away by George Legg at full stretch. Hanwell gradually began to get on top and look dangerous on the counter attack with Jack Hutchinson becoming more influential in midfield and on 58 minutes they broke clear along the left with Adam Parkes saving well from Evans fierce drive. From the resultant corner Hanwell took the lead with central defender Dwayne Duncan rising highest unchallenged at the far post thumping home a powerful header.

Play continued to be attritional and Thomson’s downward header from a corner bounced narrowly wide just past the hour as Parkway looked to get back on level terms.

The visitor’s Callum Woodcock then became the first player to see yellow after delaying taking a throw in. Parkway continued to prod and probe an opening but were unable to penetrate the visitor’s solid defence and were almost caught on the break on 66 minutes. The pacey Bancroft raced clear along the left and crossed to the unmarked Rodrigues-Alves who powerful shot was pushed behind by Parkes low down at his near post. Parkway then had to replace Callum Rose who appeared to have picked up an injury with Aaron Goulty coming on and the teams taking a well earned second drinks break.

With Hanwell now the dominant side Parkway again conceded possession in midfield and almost went further behind on 69 minutes with Matt Mackenzie’s shot hitting the bar and rebounding to safety. Parkway continued to press looking to create openings with Williams and Hall linking well only for the cross to lack quality and being easily gathered by Legg.

With Parkway looking to force the pace they continued to make unforced errors in midfield and on 77 minutes only another fine save by Parkes kept the score at 2-1. Parkway responded and almost grabbed the equaliser on 79 minutes.

A long ball picked out Alex Lolot whose attempted angled lob over Legg saw the keeper fingertip the effort on to the bar and away to safety. Fabio Sole replaced MacKenzie for Hanwell on 80 minutes as they looked to slow the game down, break up play and restrict Parkway’s attacking opportunities.  

With Parkway now pushing more players forward, gaps began to appear at the back with Hutchinson continuing to dictate proceedings in midfield. Rodrigues-Alves then saw his rising effort hit the bar when unmarked and with Parkway unable to clear, the same player pounced on the loose ball and repeated the dose by hitting the bar for a second time in quick succession.

Approaching full time Hanwell had two players down at the same time receiving treatment, including their goalkeeper, with Evans eventually being replaced by Abdul Seidu-Osman on 85 minutes.

Parkway continued to push forward but lacked the quality or guile in the final third with Hanwell putting men behind the ball and defending solidly as the game entered 8 minutes of added time.

Williams and Hall linked well in the 92nd minute but again the delivery lacked quality eventually being cleared for a throw in which saw Hanwell break away and Goulty do well to block an effort from Rodrigues-Alves. Parkway continued to look for the elusive opening with Oscar Halls cross into the 6 yard area being hacked away followed by a couple of yellow cards to Hanwell for time wasting.

The final action saw another cross from Halls into the danger area comfortably dealt with by the Hanwell defence who saw the game out to clinch the 3 points.

Despite only having an understrength squad available and in heat sapping conditions for both sides, Parkway competed well throughout in a largely forgettable first half with a well organised and committed Hanwell looking the more dangerous side in the second and creating the clearer chances.

Had it not been for some fine goalkeeping by Parkes and the woodwork, the margin of defeat could well have been greater. Whilst their effort and commitment cannot be faulted in the testing conditions, Parkway were unable to impose themselves or take control of the game and fell short in vital areas at vital times and can have no real complaints at the outcome of the game.

On a positive note, having been taken to hospital after his head injury it was good to see Elliott Benyon able to travel back to London on the team coach having been checked out and given the all clear.

Parkway now face a week of cup action. Tuesday sees a visit to Western League Premier Division Brixham AFC in the 1st round of the Devon St Lukes Bowl followed by the visit of Southern League Division 1 South Frome Town to Bolitho Park next Saturday in the 2nd round qualifying of the FA Cup. With most of the players missing today expected to return, a stronger squad should be available for 2 tough looking fixtures.

Match Info



1 Parkes, 2 Belsten (Cairo 46), 3 Hall, 4 Halls, 5 Rose © (Goulty 68), 6 Down, 7 Williams, 8 Purrington, 9 Thomson, 10 Garside, 11 Moulden (V-A Lolot 46).


12 Goulty, 14 T Hobbs (unused), 15 I-C Lolot (unused), 16 Cairo, 17 V-A  Lolot)


1 Legg, 2 Olorunfemi, 3 Woodcock, 4 Miles, 5 Duffy ©, 6 Duncan, 7 Hutchinson, 8 MacKenzie (Sole 79), 9 Evans (Osman 84), 10 Benyon (Bancroft 33), 11 Rodrigues-Alves.


12 Bancroft, 14 Seidu-Osman, 15 Sole, 16 Tanner (unused), 17 Carr (unused).

Attendance: 455 (estimate 25 away).