Full Time


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Plymouth Parkway011Draw


Bolitho Park
Bolitho Park, St Peters Road, Manadon, Plymouth, South West England, England, PL5 3JH, United Kingdom


Parkway bow out on penalties

FT: Plymouth Parkway 1 (M Williams 65) Saltash United 1 (F Williams 29)

Scores level on 90 minutes – Saltash won 5-4 on penalties.

Western League Parkway entertained near neighbours and lower league side Saltash United in an eagerly anticipated first game of the season in the Extra Preliminary Round of the FA Cup in front of a sellout crowd of 300. With a few staff and player connections between the two clubs, local bragging rights were at stake.
Parkway made the sharper start playing at a high tempo forcing Saltash on to the defensive. They almost took the lead on 3 minutes when a free kick rebounded to Steve Colwell whose low strike hit the base of the post. Michael Landricombe then saw his header go just over after a strong run and cross from Ryan Lane down the left. Parkway continued to threaten and on 11 minutes a driving run from midfield by Harrison Davis saw him find Callum Hall whose effort one on one was well blocked by Ryan Rickard in the Saltash goal.
After Parkway’s early dominance Saltash gradually got back into the game putting bodies behind the ball, flooding midfield and playing on the break. On 13 minutes former Parkway player Mike Smith made a strong run along the right with his powerful angled shot being superbly saved and pushed on to the post by Kyle Moore in the Parkway goal. With Saltash combative and well organised in midfield, they pushed Parkway on to the defensive forcing a couple of corners one of which on 27 minutes resulted in a close range shot being blocked by Jordan Bentley.
With Saltash now looking the stronger, pressing hard in midfield and putting Parkway under pressure, they took the lead on 29 minutes. A long ball into the right channel saw Smith and Rob Farkins challenge strongly for the ball with Farkins unfortunately slipping on turning leaving Smith in the clear to cleverly lay the ball back to another former Parkway player Fletcher Williams who, unmarked, side footed the ball home from around 10 yards. Parkway responded immediately and a break along the left saw Lane’s shot pushed on to the post by Rickard and behind for a corner. With Parkway unable to retain any quality possession in midfield and Saltash continuing to work hard to close down and be more direct, the Parkway defence came under increasing pressure and begin to look shaky.
On 36 minutes a concerted phase of Saltash pressure resulted in some desperate defending with a scramble in the 6 yard box being cleared off the line. From the resultant corner, a header cannoned of the angle of the bar and post. The next attack saw another cross from the dangerous Smith deflected behind for another corner. Williams then went clear on 43 minutes just failing to beat Moore who saved comfortably. On the cusp of half time Williams pulled up with what appeared to be a hamstring injury and was immediately replaced by Dan Hart. The final action of the half saw a long range shot from Davis cannon off the angle of the post and away to safety. After early promise from Parkway, a determined Saltash fought their way back into the game forcing Parkway on to the defensive and unable to create too much through the midfield or wide areas with the Saltash defence dealing comfortably with the sporadic Parkway attacks.
Saltash started the second half the stronger with Parkway still unable to create any forward momentum but remaining patient in possession and looking to create openings. On 53 minutes a Parkway attack saw another effort blocked. In a pivotal moment on 56 minutes a Saltash break saw Smith go clear wide on the right with Moore racing from his goal and clattering into Smith just outside the 18 yard area. After consulting with his assistant, the referee showed Moore a yellow card with many expecting a red. Parkway made a double substitution on 57 minutes. Matt Wright making his debut for the club after an injury dogged pre season replaced Ryan Richards for his first start of the season with Mikey Williams, also returning from injury, replacing Bentley. Saltash made their second substitution with Ryan Lucassi replacing Tom Moxham. With Parkway increasing the tempo and intensity looking for an equaliser, play became increasingly fragmented and scrappy with Billy Palfrey picking up Parkway’s second yellow card for an innocuous looking midfield challenge. With Saltash content to concede midfield space, defend deeper and contain, Parkway began to dominate possession and look more threatening forcing a series of corners and free kicks.
Parkway’s pressure eventually saw them deservedly draw level on 65 minutes. Another free kick was deflected behind for a corner and from the resultant kick to the near post, a flick on saw Williams react quickest and hook home from close range. Parkway continued to look dangerous but were still unable to penetrate the Saltash defence in the final third. On 71 minutes Henry Wilson picked up Saltash’s first yellow card for a cynical trip on Williams. Shane Krac, also returning from injury, replaced Colwell on 74 minutes with Chris Menhenick replacing Sam Leary for the visitors. With Wright beginning to win headers and cause problems, on 79 minutes Krac latched on to a Wright knock down but fired wildly over from 20 yards when more composure was required.
Parkway continued to apply pressure but lacked a clinical finish as Saltash continued to defend strongly. On 83 minutes Landricombe was yellow carded for strong challenge on Rickard causing a melee in the 6 yard box with the keeper’s retaliation and raising of his arms surprisingly going unpunished. On 85 minutes a smart interchange between Wright and Williams set up Davis whose curling, angled drive flew just wide. Parkway continued to create chances with a Lane header going narrowly over on 87 minutes. Smith could have sealed it on 89 minutes when he broke clear again only to see his shot comfortably saved by Moore .Entering stoppage time a powerful drive from Lane was deflected on to the cross bar and from the resultant corner a Farkins header off target was scrambled away. The final moments saw another couple of yellow cards and with no replays at all in the FA Cup this season and no extra time at these early stages, the game went straight to a penalty shootout.
Saltash converted all 5 of theirs with Rickard saving Parkway’s third from Wright. A typically exciting, robust, at times feisty local derby with Parkway starting the brighter but Saltash coming back into the game and just about deserving their half time lead. Parkway came on stronger in the second half and deservedly equalised but a well organised and resolute Saltash defence well marshalled by former Parkway favourite Danny Lewis held them at bay. Parkway will surely rue their second half missed chances and lack of clinical finishing at the death. Saltash will now entertain Southern League Paulton Rovers in the next round as Parkway turn their attention to their tough looking first league fixture away at Hallen on Saturday.


Date Time League Season Full Time
1 September 2020 7:45 pm The FA Trophy 2020/2021 90'

Past Meetings

Pre-Season Friendly
Oakfield Stadium

Melksham Town vs Plymouth Parkway

Pre-Season Friendly
Silver Street

Willand Rovers vs Plymouth Parkway

Pre-Season Friendly
Bolitho Park

Plymouth Parkway vs St Blazey AFC

Plymouth Parkway

1Kyle Moore Goalkeeper
2Harrison Davis Defender
3Ryan Lane Defender
4Billy Palfrey Midfielder
5Rob Farkins Defender
6Mike Landricombe Defender
10Callum Hall Midfielder
11Ryan Richards 9 Midfielder
12James Ward Defender
14Jordan Bentley 7 Defender
18Steve Colwell 16 Midfielder
7Mikey Williams 14 Midfielder
9Matt Wright 11 Striker
16Shane Krac 18 Midfielder

KO 57 57 74 FT