Plymouth Parkway v ARgyle | Match Report

Defeat on the road for Hobbs' men

Following a battling draw on the opening weekend, Parkway would drop to their first league defeat of the season as the Rams produce a fine 2nd half performance writes Graham Lloyd…

3 - 1
Full Time
Graham Lloyd

Full Match Report

On a sweltering hot day, Parkway’s first away game in the Southern League Premier Division South saw them visit an experienced Beaconsfield Town side who featured a smattering of former professionals in their ranks. Due to injuries and unavailability’s, Parkway were missing four squad players and made one enforced change from last week’s draw with Chesham United with the returning Austen Booth replacing the unavailable Reece Shanley at right back.




Playing on their 3g surface, the hosts made a quick start forcing Parkway on to the defensive with the Minhas brothers and Louis Walsh causing early problems up front with their direct style and strong running. Parkway were unable to gain too much possession with Beaconsfield composed in midfield and looking to impose themselves with early balls into their front players with Aaron Minhas dictating play across the front line. Their first chance came on 10 minutes with Sean Fraser shooting just wide.

The hosts continued to dominate and on 12 minutes a long ball in behind the Parkway defence found Nathan Minhas who smashed a rasping drive from around 25 yards against the cross bar and bounding away to safety.

After weathering the early storm, Parkway gradually managed to gain some meaningful possession and on 20 minutes could have taken the lead. Good link up play between Rio Garside and Ben Seymour along the right saw the ball crossed to Jack Crago whose angled side footed shot flew narrowly wide of the far post with R’Avan Constable in the home goal beaten. Beaconsfield continued to press strongly and arguably against the run of play Parkway took the lead on 21 minutes.

A searching well directed diagonal ball from the back by Brandon Pursall found Garside wide on the right who cut inside and unleashed a low angled drive from around 18 yards beating Constable at his near post.

Play became more even however the hosts continued to look threatening on the break and on 28 minutes another long ball into the heart of the Parkway defence saw Nathan Minhas turn sharply around 20 yards out and hit a rising drive which Kyle Moore did superbly well to tip over.

The hosts continued to threaten forcing Parkway to defend in numbers and with their midfield unable to gain control they were being restricted to the occasional break forward.

From one such break on 31 minutes Seymour outpaced Mark Nisbet along the left with his cross into the 6 yard area seeing the incoming Garside just failing to get a final touch.

On 32 minutes Booth saw his header from a free kick on the right comfortably saved as both sides continued to create but squander half chances. Louis Walsh showing good pace along the left continued to cause problems to the Parkway back line with the Minhas brothers a constant threat as the hosts finished the half the stronger.

On 35 minutes Nathan Minhas headed well wide from a free kick on the left as the hosts continued to apply pressure forcing a couple of corners which Parkway managed to defend and clear. On 42 minutes Callum Webb became the first player to see yellow after a foul on Garside with the resultant free kick coming to nothing.

Nathan Minhas then made a strong run from deep linking with Walsh whose cross was deflected behind for another corner.

On the cusp of half time a Walsh cross into the 18 yard area found Nathan Minhas around 10 yards out with Michael Landricombe managing to deny the striker a shot with a block tackle with Minhas unsuccessfully appealing for a penalty.

Dan Rooney was booked for dissent in first half stoppage time with the players then returning to their dressing rooms for a much needed break.

After a strong start by the hosts, Parkway gradually adapted to the pace of the game without being able to gain control of midfield or create too many chances with Beaconsfield looking constantly threatening leaving Parkway clearly having much to do in the second half to retain their slender lead.

Beaconsfield started the 2nd half in the ascendancy and on 50 minutes good link up play between Walsh and Nathan Minhas saw the latter’s right footed shot pushed over by Moore. Walsh then saw yellow for a foul on 53 minutes followed shortly after by him chipping an effort just over from around 15 yards.

It came as no real surprise when the hosts equalised on 55 minutes. A long bouncing ball deep into the heart of the Parkway defence saw Nathan Minhas outmuscle Landricombe and go clear to finish calmly from round 12 yards giving Moore no chance.

Beaconsfield continued to dominate, stretching the Parkway defence with Booth seeing yellow on 59 minutes for another foul.

From the resultant free kick Moore made an outstanding point blank range save from a Nathan Minhas close range header. The constant pressure eventually paid off as the hosts took the lead on 61 minutes. A neat passage of play along the left overloaded the Parkway defence who were unable to clear with Toby Little heading home a cross to the near post from close range.

Nathan Minhas then broke clear on 63 minutes forcing a comfortable save from Moore when the striker should really have done better. Parkway replaced Callum Hall with Theo Simpson on 64 minutes as they looked to add to their striking options. This almost paid dividends as good link up play between Simpson and Garside released Seymour whose cross from the right flashed across the 6 yard area with Crago just failing to make contact at the far post.

With Parkway now looking to force the pace and the hosts seemingly content to contain and continue to play on the break, a Booth header at the far post from a corner on 68 minutes could only find the side netting. Debutant Aaron Goulty then replaced Crago as Parkway looked to introduce fresh legs in the energy sapping heat. On 72 minutes a shot from distance by Seymour was comfortably saved by Constable as Parkway continued to probe openings against a well organised and no nonsense Beaconsfield defence. Dan Bradshaw replaced Scott Donnelly for the hosts on 74 minutes shortly before a Parkway free kick saw Landricombe head back across the 6 yard area with Pursall hooking the loose ball wide. On 76 minutes Seymour got beyond the last defender going away from goal and a coming together between the two saw him receive a yellow card for simulation. On 79 minutes Parkway almost drew level with Simpson making a strong run forward after Beaconsfield had conceded possession in midfield only to see his shot from around 15 yards well blocked by Constable who had spread himself well. The experienced former West Ham professional Kyel Reid replaced Little on 79 minutes as the hosts also looked to introduce fresh legs

The game took a twist on 80 minutes with a somewhat contentious decision which saw Seymour receive a 2nd yellow card after an innocuous looking clash with a Beaconsfield defender on the edge of the penalty area. With the hosts continuing to defend well, Parkway continued have more possession as they looked to engineer an equaliser. Good play between Garside and Simpson on 82 minutes saw them force a corner which was easily gathered by Constable. Garside and Gaulty then linked well along the right on 85 minutes with the latter seeing his curling low shot from around 18 yards go narrowly wide of the far post.

Beaconsfield made their final change on 85 minutes with Eitel Goueth replacing the impressive Aaron Minhas. Entering stoppage time Billy Palfrey became the next player to be booked as Parkway pushed forward in a last throw of the dice. This left them vulnerable at the back which was exploited by the pacey Reid who broke clear unchallenged down the right and clinched the game with a low shot from around 15 yards. The final action came in the 94th minute when Walsh received his 2nd yellow card for apparent simulation in the penalty area which at that late stage of the game had no impact on the outcome whatsoever.

Parkway can have no real complaints about the result which despite them having periods on top and competing well throughout, they were second best for much of the game against a well drilled, well organised, experienced outfit who deserved their win and were clinical in their finishing and forcing Moore into a number of crucial saves.

Parkway are back on the road on Tuesday when they visit Dorchester Town who lost 4-0 to Truro City today and therefore have the opportunity to quickly bounce back in search of their first win of season. It’s still very early days and once they have their full squad available, there is ample time for Parkway to adapt and adjust to the demands at the higher level and the standards now required.   

Parkway Stats

Goals: Rio Garside

Assist: Brandon Pursell

Red Card: Ben Seymour

Parkway Database

Sign Up Now

Join the club.

Become a member of the Plymouth Parkway Football Club database and get access to tickets, match details and promotions first.