Parkways league troubles return with defeat in Gloucestershire

Parkways league troubles would return as they tasted another defeat, this time, on the road against Yate Town writes Graham Lloyd…

4 - 0
Full Time
Graham Lloyd

Full Match Report

Parkway have enjoyed some better days in cup competitions of late, but the league will always be the main priority. On resumption of the league campaign yesterday evening, Parkway would be reminded of the test that lays ahead writes Graham Lloyd…

In the basement battle of the bottom two, Parkway visited Yate Town with a depleted squad due to suspension, injuries and unavailability. One change was made from Saturday’s FA Trophy victory over Dorchester Town with Ben Seymour returning in place of Pedro Borges who was one of just 3 substitutes.

Yate almost took the lead straight from the kick off. Confusion in the Parkway backline saw Ollie Mehew go clear only to be denied by a brave block save by Kyle Moore. Yate started the sharper playing at a high tempo and with intensity which Parkway were unable to match as they struggled to get into the game. The hosts quickly stamped their authority in midfield and on 6 minutes Brandon Smalley shot narrowly over from 20 yards. Parkway’s first attack on 8 minutes saw Callum Hall’s shot from 20 yards easily saved by Martin Horsell. Yate continued to dominate all over the pitch with Parkway unable to gain or retain any decent possession and beginning to be overrun in midfield. On 17 minutes a long ball into the heart of the Parkway defence saw Moore’s clearance rebound of Mikey Williams with Moore conceding a free kick just outside the 18 yard area and also picking up a booking as he tried to clear the loose ball. Joe Tumelty’s free kick sailed harmlessly over the bar.


Yate continued to press high and were winning most of the second balls in midfield and not allowing Parkway any time or space on the ball. The hosts defence rarely came under any threat and they remained solid, dealing comfortably with the occasional Parkway break forward. Mehew, Alex Lambert and Tumelty continued to provide a constant threat with their pace and movement forcing Parkway to defend in numbers and it was no surprise when the hosts took the lead on 22 minutes. An angled shot from around 18 yards was tipped on the bar by Moore with Lambert following in unchallenged to tap in the loose ball from close range. Yate continued to control the midfield and look dangerous in the wide areas with Parkway working hard but unable to retain any meaningful possession often guilty of wayward passing and conceding possession too easily. A rare Parkway attack on 25 minutes saw them win a free kick on the right which was cleared with the loose ball being recycled and crossed to Michael Landricombe whose header was comfortably saved.

Despite Yate continuing to control proceedings, Parkway gradually began to get to the pace of the game but rarely threatened, however on 30 minutes a Tyler Ashmead break saw him link with Seymour whose shot was blocked. Yate continued to apply pressure and on 32 minutes a free kick from the right was headed clear only as far as Tom Richards on the edge of the 18 yard area who spun sharply with his shot being tipped over by Moore. From the resultant corner Yate doubled their lead somewhat fortuitously after the ball took an awkward bounce and struck Ryan Lane’s arm which appeared to be in a natural position by his side. Tumelty confidently hammered home the spot kick.

Parkway continued to look edgy and hesitant in possession and were unable to combat the host’s pressing and intensity. On 37 minutes a rare Parkway break forward set up Austen Booth whose shot was deflected as the hosts defence continued to look strong and composed. Approaching half time Parkway had a short period in which they had a decent spell of possession and on 42 minutes good link up play between Lane and Williams along the left set up Seymour who cut inside at pace with his shot being well saved by Horsell. The final action of the half saw Lambert yellow carded as the hosts deservedly went in ahead at the break.

A dominant half by the hosts with Parkway working hard to stem the tide but unable to match the hosts intensity and lacking any midfield creativity, being restricted to the occasional break forward but creating no real clear cut chances.

The 2nd half started disastrously for Parkway. On 47 minutes once again a defensive mistake allowed Yate to go clear down the right with the ball being squared to the unmarked Lambert who slotted home from 6 yards past the exposed Moore effectively sealing the game. Parkway managed to respond with a good chance going begging with Booth heading narrowly over from a free kick on 49 minutes. The game continued at a frenetic pace but lacked too much quality with both sides lacking composure in the final third. However it was the hosts who continued to control the game with Parkway gradually gaining more possession but were unable to create any clear chances with their final ball lacking precision or penetration. On 64 minutes a break along the left by Yate saw Moore do well to save a shot at his near post as the hosts remained dominant and seemingly content to slow the game down and frustrate Parkway. A Lane cross from the left on 66 minutes was easily gathered by Horsell as Parkway continued their attempts to get back into the game. Borges replaced Reece Shanley in midfield on 68 minutes as Parkway continued to have their fair share of possession but were still unable to breach the solid Yate defence. Tumelty shot narrowly over on 69 minutes as the hosts continued to create the better chances with Parkway now looking to go more direct by bypassing their ineffective midfield but still unable to create any clear scoring opportunities.

A period of Parkway pressure saw another good chance spurned as Jarred Lewington headed just wide on 71 minutes after a deep cross from Ashmead. Horsell then palmed away a Borges effort shortly afterwards but it was the hosts who increased their lead further on 75 minutes. A free kick from wide on the right flashed cross the 6 yard area evading everyone and reaching the unmarked central defender Pierce Mitchell at the far post who calmly tucked the ball away from close range. Tumelty was cautioned for a foul on 77 minutes as Parkway continued to look to create openings but the hosts defence remained comfortable and rarely under threat. Both sides made late substitutions with Aaron Goulty replacing Seymour on 77 minutes and Prince Henry and Zac Drew replacing Lambert and Mehew respectively shortly after. Parkway continued to hit long balls which rarely troubled the Yate defence however from a corner on 80 minutes a Parkway half chance from close range was scrambled off the line. Yate made their final change on 85 minutes with Dennis Digie replacing Smalley with the hosts content to manage the game out through the 4 minutes of stoppage time with no further alarms.

Despite no lack of effort, a very poor, lacklustre overall performance by Parkway who were second best from start to finish and were no match for their determined, aggressive, well organised hosts who were worthy winners. Tonight’s display bore no resemblance to Parkway’s recent FA Cup performances against higher ranked Oxford City and is hard to explain and will give the management team much food for thought. The result sees Parkway drop to bottom place with Yate moving off the bottom to 19th. It doesn’t get any easier as they are back on the road on Saturday with the long trip to London to visit 16th placed Harrow Borough who had an eye catching 2-1 victory tonight over high flying Chesham United. A vastly improved performance will be required.

Match Info



1 Moore, 2 Ashmead, 3 Lane, 4 Shanley (Borges 68), 5 Landricombe ©, 6 Booth, 7 Williams, 8 Hall, 9 Seymour (Goulty 77), 10 Lewington, 11 Crago


12 Borges, 14 Goulty, 15 Rose (unused).


1 Horsell, 2 Ibrahim, 3 Soady, 4 McLean, 5 Mitchell, 6 Raison, 7 Richards, 8 Smalley (Digie 85), 9 Lambert (Henry 78), 10 Tumelty ©, 11 Mehew (Drew)


12 Drew, 13 Evans (gk)(unused), 14 Henry, 15 Digie, 16 Ball (unused)