Plymouth Parkway vs Roman Glass St. George

Toolstation Western League
March 2, 2019
Score: 2 - 0

Match Report

FT: Plymouth Parkway 2 (Farkins 35, Williams 44)
Roman Glass St. George 0
With a good crowd of 201 in attendance, Parkway went into the game looking to extend their 8 match winning league run (9 in all competitions) against 18th placed Roman Glass St George, a team they had beaten 8-0 recently. Parkway made 2 changes from last weeks victory at Hallen withMikey Williams and Shane Krac returning and Jordan Annear and Teigan Rosenquest dropping to the bench. The game got off to a cagey start with neither side able to create any clear chances and the game developing into a midfield battle. The first effort of note came on 9 minutes when a Jordan Trott free kick on the right smacked against the far post and away to safety. With Roman looking well organised in defence and compact in midfield, an early break saw them make progress down the right with a dangerous cross being deflected behind for a corner. Rob Farkins then saw his header from another free kick on 12 minutes fly just wide before Roman almost took the lead on 14 minutes. A strong run on the right from Jacob Watson saw his cross cum shot palmed just over by Kyle Moore with the resultant corner whipped in on the swirling wind also being palmed away by Moore. Roman were proving to be resilient, stubborn and hard to break down as Parkway struggled to impose themselves on the game. Looking to exploit the flanks, a strong run from midfield by Krac released Williams wide on the right who cut inside, shooting just over. On 19 minutes, with Parkway gradually forcing the pace, good work by Adam Carter saw his cross fall to Krac whose shot was comfortably saved by Aaron Sainsbury. Roman continued to compete well with Parkway dominating possession but failing to create any clear openings. Williams and Ryan Lane swapped flanks with Lane cutting in from the right on 26 minutes and shooting into the side netting from a narrow angle. With Parkway looking comfortable in defence and looking to play out from the back, Roman continued to hustle and harry in midfield with Lewis Wentland picking up the games first yellow card on 31 minutes. From the free kick by Krac, Carter turned sharply and shot just wide. With Parkway now increasing the pressure, a teasing cross from the right by Jamie Lowry was well defended before they took the lead on 35 minutes. A corner from the left found Farkins escaping his marker at the far post and leaping the highest to thump home a header from around 6 yards. A trademark finish from the impressive central defender. With Roman now being forced on to the defensive, Parkway forged further ahead on 44 minutes after a fine passage of play. A strong tackle just outside his 18 yard box saw Nick Miltonplay the ball to Lowry who, showing good awareness, fired a long diagonal ball to Lane wide on the left. Lane’s first time cross on the run was met by the incoming Williams who got ahead of his marker to slide home from close range. Jordan Greenwood then received a yellow card for a cynical trip on the last man about 45 yards from goal. From the resultant free kick from Trott, Carter saw his strong header saved at full stretch by Sainsbury. A half lacking any great quality with Roman looking well organised but rarely threatening and Parkway doing just enough to warrant their lead. Roman started the second half the sharper and a strong run from midfield by Ken Oni on 48 minutes was halted as he was brought down just outside the box. The resultant free kick was easily charged down by the wall. Lewis Wentland then saw his shot well saved by Moore with Roman then making their first change with Sam Wentland being replaced by David Regula on 55 minutes. Play became increasingly scrappy with Roman digging in, defending deep and Parkway lacking quality or penetration with their final ball. On 63 minutes Parkway were given an opportunity to increase their lead. A neat one two between Krac and Williams saw the latter tripped just inside the area only for the normally reliable Carter have his weakly hit penalty well saved by Sainsbury. Play continued to be attritional with both sides conceding possession too easily and few chances being created. Annear replaced Carter on 70 minutes with Rosanquest on for Lane and Adam Growcott replacing Rhys Hodgson for the visitors on 79 minutes. Annear then made a strong run to the edge of the 18 yard box with his shot being well blocked as Roman continued to work hard and defend well with Parkway unable to create any clear chances. Mike Smith replaced Williams on 85 minutes as the game gradually petered out without further incident. A rather uninspiring second half with Roman continuing to compete well and frustrate with Parkway largely in control without ever looking totally convincing. Another gritty rather than glittering performance and another clean sheet keeps Parkway up among the leaders. With Willand and Bitton both winning today and 2nd placed Westbury surprisingly beaten at home by bottom club Shortwood, who gained their first win of the season at the 29th attempt in what must surely be the performance of the day, Parkway climb a place to 3rd on goal difference from Westbury. Parkway now entertain high flying 2nd placed Division 1 side Keynsham Town (who lost 2-1 today) on Wednesday in the quarter final of the Les Phillips League Cup. The now familiar trek up the A38/M5 follows next Saturday with a visit to 13th placed Cadbury Heath. Your correspondent will not be present as he will be much further North in sunny Southport at a Naval reunion. Just noticed that National League North side Southport are at home to Boston United next Saturday. Mmmm? You never know but don’t expect a report!


Christian Pople
Jordan Trott
Sam Hillson
Nick Milton
Mikey WilliamsGoal
Shane Krac
Ryan Lane
Rob FarkinsGoal
Adam Carter
Jamie Lowry
1. Kyle Moore


Mike Smith
Jack Rhead
Teigan Rosenquest
Jordan Annear
Les Afful